If you have ever thought to yourself, I need to declutter the house but never seem to find time to do it, moving to a new house is the perfect opportunity to do it! This blog is going to give you some top tips and reasons why decluttering should be one of the top things to do on your list.
- Decluttering can impact your budget so if money is tight this could be key for you. By getting rid of unwanted items you can cut down on your removal costs, there’s no point in packing and paying for things that you don’t want in your new house to be moved. It’s also a great opportunity to sell anything you don’t need putting money back into the moving kitty. You know what they say, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure!
- If car boot sales aren’t your thing and eBay seems like a lot of effort then how about donating your unwanted items to charity, some of the bigger charities can organise a collection from your house which will save you time during those busy last few days before you move.
- Start with the harder things to part with, a lot of us hold onto unwanted gifts from friends or family for fear of offending them, the reality is when it comes to moving house if you don’t want it or need it then get rid of it. It can be really hard to let go of sentimental items like old school uniforms or school reports, whilst holding onto memories is important if not kept in check one box turns into ten and before you know it the loft is full of things you’ll never look at again. Parting with things like this can be an emotional time, if you start with these things you can do a little each day without becoming overwhelmed.
- No idea how to start the process? Then just ask yourself these three questions, do I really need it, why do I need it and if I don’t need it why am I holding onto it?
- Use the four-box method. This is the most popular (and arguably effective) method of decluttering, label up four large boxes – keep, sell/donate, storage and throw away. Go around your house one room at a time and put everything you don’t need immediately into the right box.
- Moving is the perfect opportunity to clean out your wardrobe too! Are you holding onto jeans that you haven’t worn in 5 years just in case you fit in them again? Get rid of them!
- If you’re getting too close to your moving date and are still struggling to get through things, put everything that you know needs sorting into storage. It means that it’s not cluttering up your new house but also means there is still time constraint on getting things sorted out. No one wants to be paying for storage if they don’t have to.
Decluttering your house might take longer than you think, especially if you have lived there for quite a long time. As soon as you know you are moving it’s best to start the process straight away. By getting rid of all your old and unwanted items you’re freeing up space to create a brand-new style in your new home. Minimalist, modern, cosy cottage the choice is yours!